Top 10 Things I Miss About Super-hero Comics

Cartoonist Fred Hembeck started something big when he posted two old strips (1, 2) on his wonderful blog, Fred Sez. Each details 100 things Fred loves about comic books.

Inspired, a zillion other bloggers posted their own great lists. Mike Sterling linked to a bunch of 'em. And I thought about doing one too.

But then it occured to me that a lot of the things I like about comics (the super-hero variety, anyway) no longer exist in today's books, or appear very rarely.

So I've decided to list those instead:

10. The JLA satellite.


9. Bullpen Bulletins.


8. Super-gorillas!


6 and 7. Alliteration and hyperbole!


5. Batman's humanity.


4. Unashamed use of sound effects.


3. Multiple Earths.


2. Covers that sell the story.


1. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment