New comics Aug. 12, 2009: Eerie! Turok! Superboy! Sandman! Flash! Spidey! More!

Releases of note this week. Click highlighted titles to order discounted books from Amazon.


EERIE ARCHIVES VOL 2
TUROK SON OF STONE ARCHIVES VOL 3
Two more classic collections from Dark Horse.


ADVENTURE COMICS #1 The Conner Kent Superboy returns. I'm not really a fan of this incarnation of Superboy or of scripter Geoff Johns, but I'm glad to see DC reviving the Adventure Comics name. It was always one of my favorites, no matter who was starring--the real Superboy, the Spectre, Aquaman...


SANDMAN BY JOE SIMON AND JACK KIRBY If DC manages to get this looking right and puts it on decent paper, it'll be a real gem. The book features Simon and Kirby's Golden Age Sandman stories from, ahem, Adventure Comics and elsewhere, plus their 1970s reunion 1974's Sandman #1.


SHOWCASE PRESENTS THE FLASH VOL 3 Another slab of Silver Age Flash. This one collects THE FLASH #141-161. Good stuff from John Broome, Gardner Fox, Carmine Infantino and co.


WEDNESDAY COMICS #6 DC's cool, tabloid-format anthology reaches its mid-point. I'm loving slightly more than half of it. The Kamandi and Metamorpho strips are my favorites. Kubert and son's Sgt. Rock is swell, as are Adam Strange and Green Lantern. The Flash and Batman strips are fun, as is the lighthearted Supergirl tale. Dead Man looks spectacular, but the story seems pretty routine so far. I enjoy the art on Catwoman and the Demon and the pairing of the characters is interesting. I just don't know if the story will end up being anything special. Kyle Baker's Hawkman is leaving me cold and I can't figure out how to read Wonder Woman, although it looks really nice. What's left? Metal Men has awesome art by Jose Garcia Lopez, but the script by DC Publisher Dan DiDio is lackluster. Teen Titans has awfully tiny ideas for such big pages. And the Superman story is likewise routine, plus I don't like the "shiny" look of the art/coloring. But that's the point of an anthology right? Some stuff you'll like, other stuff not so much.



AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #602 The Mary Jane returns storyline continues. I enjoyed the first installment last ish. I'm a little embarrassed by the cheesecake covers, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment