Pop links: Simon and Kirby! Beach Boys! Crime comics! Sergio Aragones! Frazetta! Tom Baker! Tintin!

Check out a vintage Simon and Kirby-produced crime story.



----

Read a batch of Crime Does Not Pay stories with work by Dick Briefer,Fred Guardineer, Charles Biro and others.



-----

The Ventura County Star profiles Mad genius Sergio Aragones.

“Like pain,” Aragonés said in thick accent, “laughter is inside of a person. It’s as natural as hunger.

“I’m thinking and laughing all day long,” he continued. “Every time I think of a joke, I’m also telling myself a new joke. It’s a great way to live.”



-----

According to singer Mike Love, the surviving Beach Boys (I'm assuming that means Brian Wilson, Love, Al Jardine and Bruce Johnson) will do a 50th anniversary performance in 2011. PBS is also considering an "American Masters" show about the band.

-----

Speaking of Beach Boys, Times Online reviews his recent performance at the London Roundhouse.

Wilson was in a jokey mood, noting that it was unusual for him to be playing a venue in which the audience were not provided with seats. “If I don’t get a standing ovation for this one . . .” he said sternly, before playing Wouldn’t It Be Nice. He dedicated Girl Don’t Tell Me, an old Beach Boys B-side with a distinct Beatles influence, to John Lennon.

-----

More crime comics! Here's one illustrated by the great Frank Frazetta.



------

Shirley Jones will appear as her real-life stepson David Cassidy's mom--just as she did on "The Partridge Family"--on an episodes of ABC Family's upcoming "Ruby and the Rockets" series Sept. 15.

-----

Tom Baker talks about his return to the role of Doctor Who for an upcoming BBC radio drama.

Playing the role is easier than putting on an old pair of boots. I said that I never stopped being Doctor Who — not when I walked off the set every day in the ’70s and not since I left the show. I said ‘never’ and I mean it. How could I stop? The Doctor was just Tom Baker. No acting. So, when it came time to record [Hornet's Nest], I just dropped into the studio and picked up the script and away we went. Just like the old days.

-----

Looks like Steven Spielberg is really getting into the spirit of things directing his upcoming Tintin film.

No comments:

Post a Comment