NPR asks who are your favorite singers?

NPR is working on a feature that will profile 50 Great Voices over the next year. To help out, the network is asking folks to submit lists of their favorite vocalists of all time.

I tried to do so, coming up with the following list off the top of my head, in no particular order and, I'm sure, omitting folks I'll later be kicking myself over.

Louis Armstrong
Frank Sinatra
Nat King Cole
Jimmy Rushing
Joe Turner
Elvis Presley
John Lennon
Ella Fitzgerald
Dinah Washington
Billie Holiday
Mildred Bailey
Sarah Vaughn
Harry Nilsson
Brian Wilson
Bjork
Kate Bush
John Lydon/Johnny Rotten
Joe Strummer
Elvis Costello
Robert Wyatt
Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Colin Blunstone
Bob Dylan
Pete Seeger
Muddy Waters
Howlin' Wolf
Bessie Smith
Aretha Franklin
Lavern Baker
Carla Thomas
Otis Redding
David Ruffin
Levi Stubbs
Stevie Wonder
Marvin Gaye
Sam Cooke
Al Green

Ok, tell me who I missed...

5 comments:

  1. I really havent heard much about Plant in recent years. He is arguably the best lead singer of all time, and its great to see him touring again and working on new projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, midway between Frank Sinatra and Howlin' Wolf lies Jim Morrison, who surely synthesized satin croon menace with midnight blues bark as well as anyone on the rock side of the list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It begins and ends with Freddy Mercury of Queen.

    ReplyDelete