28 days later: The Netflix lag

I just don't see the point of buying any more DVDs. Not when I can rent or stream them so cheaply. And apparently I'm not alone.

Strong-arm tactics from movies studios have led Netlix to delay rentals of new Fox and Warner Bros. releases until 28 days after become available for purchase.

I figure I'll just wait. After all, I wait to watch HBO and Showtime series until they become available on DVD. I wait sometimes up to a year to see movies on DVD because getting a baby sitter and shelling out for movie tickets is too much of a hassle. I have plenty of already-available stuff to watch and catch up on. So what's 28 days?

This is just delaying the inevitable. DVDs will soon become a thing of the past and the film industry, much like newspapers and magazines publishers, need to figure out new ways to make a profit. I don't have any easy answers. I'm contributing to the problem. But the genie's out of the bottle folks.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I don't feel a bit guilty about denying profits to the movie industry just because they can't keep up with the trends or the technology. And faux 3-D added AFTER the film is shot is not helping one bit either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd much rather buy my own copy and have it right there in my own personal library so I can watch it whenever I feel like it. It's the same feeling satisfaction I get from my large personal library of books, which numbers well above 2000 titles at the moment.

    ReplyDelete