Radio show, book, celebrate the 45th anniversary of the Batman TV show

Interesting, I just received bootleg DVDs of the 1966 "Batman" series yesterday and enjoyed watching the first two-parter last night. I guess I knew, on some level, that this was the program's 45th anniversary -- the same age as me. I just celebrated my own 45th last month...

Anyway, the first episode of "Batman" did indeed air in January 1966, and to celebrate KSAV Internet radio is presenting a special interview program. Guests include Jim Bear, editor of "14 Miles to Gotham City," a new collection of essays about the show, and veteran DC Comics writer Chuck Dixon. The program airs Tuesday, Jan. 18, at 7:30 ET/PT.

The show also will be available here as a download starting Jan. 19.

...Now back to those bootlegs: I resisted getting these for many years in hopes that legitimate, remastered DVD sets of the show would eventually come out. But rights to the program are still evidently in legal limbo. If/when the show is officially released on DVD or via a streaming service (since DVDs may not exist by then), I will purchase them. I promise. But I want to enjoy the "Batman" experience with my kids and, admittedly, for myself. I grew up watching repeats of this show. It hooked me on comics and pop culture and, lookee, here we are 45 years later. Dipping back into the series last night was fun and I look forward to watching more soon.

2 comments:

  1. The book looks to be a definite "must buy." Thanks for the heads up! I remember watching the first show like it was yesterday. How could I forget with both the Riddler and Jill Saint John! CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. The show has been playing, somehwta in running order, on the HUB in the states.

    ReplyDelete