Pop focus: The Beatles debut on the Ed Sullivan Show!

50 years ago today (Feb. 9, 1964), the Beatles peformed for the first time on the "Ed Sullivan Show." That was a Sunday night, too. A record 73 million Americans watched the performance. Also on the show that night was a performance by the London cast of "Oliver!," including future Monkee Davy Jones as the Artful Dodger, and a routine by comedian/impressionist Frank Gorshin -- soon to portray the Riddler on ABC's "Batman" TV series.


 The Beatles also appeared on the Sullivan show, the following week (Feb. 16), when it aired live from Miami Beach. And they were featured in a pre-taped performance on the Feb. 23 episode.

Below, is a video featuring the Beatles spots from that first episode. If you want to see the entire episode, complete with other guests and commercials, nab a copy of this great DVD, which features  all the Beatles' Sullivan shows.

Also very highly recommended is the documentary film "The Beatles: First U.S. Visit," directed by Albert and David Maysles, which provides amazing, fly-on-the-wall footage of the Beatles backstage, traveling and performing.

If you saw the Beatles' first Sullivan Show appearance, or just have strong feelings about it, let us know in the comments section!






 


1 comment:

  1. I was and still am a Beatles fan, and saw them on the Sullivan show that night. I don't know how I got out of going to church that Sunday, but then I don't recall when it aired either. I'm thinking it came on around 7pm prime time, but I could be wrong.

    I still have my first 45 of I Wanna Hold Your Hand in the black & white picture sleeve, among many other 45s of their hits. I guess the rest is history.

    ReplyDelete